At the Quepos hostel

June 3, 2010

Between the young people talking loud into the wee hours, the dogs barking periodically through the night, and these two birds off in the distance having a ball bellowing at each other every 15 seconds, I did manage to get some sleep last night. Potato chips subbed for dinner as the rain finally let up late and I was too tired to try to negotiate the language to find a meal. Got up at first light because that’s when all the birds get up. Too loud to sleep, plus I could hear the town starting to stir.

Passed on the cold water shower, changed clothes and took a stroll to explore my new home. Went straight to the ocean, about 3 blocks away. High tide with a muddy, overflowing river running into the bay. The new marina, very much under construction, was on the left. The bank was made up of large boulders but fishing from them is possible if one is careful. I expect this would be a good area to fish at high tide when the river is not so muddy. 

Decided to walk south to take a look at the marina and the natural jetties beyond. The marina has a ways to go. They haven’t started yet on the hotel, condos and retail. Yuck! There goes the town’s character. The area’s all wired off. Past that are two natural peninsulas, the first one is gated and I expect would open later. The second had a small park and pretty cool rock formation. This jetty was apparently formed by lava. There are huge, black rock formations going down 30-40 feet to the ocean. Saw a number of places where I can climb down to fish off ledges or rocks, but today the breakers were too strong. Besides, I don’t have a fishing rod yet. I’m told this is a favorite area for locals with their handlines. Handlines make sense here because the water is very deep right at the rocks. However, also a good area for casting artificials if I get close to the water. 

On the way back, I stopped at a small “soda” for coffee and juice ($1.60). They were advertising casados for $2. This is a meal of black beans and rice, a meat, a fruit juice and something else. Passed an appliance store on the way back to the hostel. A steam iron had a price tag of 15,700 colones, or $32. Back at the hostel, the kids were having breakfast, or at least some of them. They were looking kind of ragged. BTW, when I arrived the hostel had numerous clothes-drying lines heaped with these kids clothes and towels. Guess the downpour caught them yesterday. 

Breakfast was black beans and rice, fruit, toast, juice and coffee. Had to clean my own dishes. BTW, you’re not supposed to put toilet paper down the toilet – they have a trash basket for that. Yuck! I suspect that the locals don’t follow this practice. The hostel is very much into the environment, although a lot of the measures are geared more to saving water and electric bills, I think.

The town was just waking up when I took my walk. Found several banks, restaurants and a grocery. The sidewalks sit well above the streets and you have to use ramps at the end of each block to get to the street – unless you want to jump the short distance. Deep gutters between the street and sidewalk. Lots of construction going on. More exploring still to do as I only saw a few streets. 

Time to call my contact and start looking for apartments. I’m reserving my hostel room for another night just in case.

About 2bagsandapack

Lifetime journalist, author, magazine editor and publisher, now semi-retired and traveling the world. My plan, after living in Costa Rica for 14 months, was to visit a new country in southern Europe every three months to experience the culture and the challenge of adapting to a new environment, while on a fixed income. That plan was sidetracked when I was offered a job in Indonesia, providing an opportunity to explore Asia. Indonesia lasted for a 4 wonderful years but I have now moved on to Hua Hin, Thailand.
This entry was posted in Costa Rica, Dining Out, Fishing, In Transit, Local Culture, Quepos and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.